Baltimore — Ryan McMahon departed Wednesday’s 5-3 victory over the Orioles in the eighth inning after sustaining a left-hand injury while sliding into second base in the second inning.
The third baseman, who remained in the game initially, underwent X-rays that McMahon said showed no damage, though further testing is scheduled for Thursday.
“It’s a little sore,” McMahon said of his thumb, which caught on the slide as he was thrown out trying to stretch an RBI single into a double.
As the game progressed, McMahon noted increasing swelling, informed Aaron Boone, and with the score tied in the top of the eighth, Boone opted to pinch‑hit José Caballero for McMahon with two on and two out.
Caballero was hit by a pitch to load the bases, and George Lombard Jr. followed with a go‑ahead infield single.
McMahon said he hopes to avoid significant time off.
Despite continued offensive struggles — the Yankees entered Wednesday with the second‑worst OPS and second‑fewest runs in the majors since Aaron Judge’s fractured rib — Boone stood by his hitting coaches.
“I think they’re great,” Boone said. “Led by hitting coach James Rowson, the group is well prepared, works hard, and provides the right approach. It’s been a struggle, I understand, but I have full confidence in our leadership. We just haven’t seen the results yet, yet I see their preparation, hear their meeting discussions, and observe the support they give players, which reinforces my confidence.”
Even so, Boone admitted he did not anticipate the prolonged slump the lineup has endured.
“It’s surprising,” Boone said. “We’re missing some key pieces, which creates challenges. Several players are in good shape individually but have underperformed relative to their potential. Hopefully that evens out moving forward, as we expect to improve.”
Perhaps the return of Cody Bellinger, who is slated for a minor‑league rehab game with Triple‑A Scranton/Wilkes‑Barre on Thursday, could provide a boost.
There remains no timetable for Judge’s return.
“We’ve struggled to produce results,” Boone said. “I don’t believe the issue lies with those leading the team.”
Boone added that Max Fried had “another solid day” on Wednesday after being placed on the 15‑day injured list Monday with what was initially described as an elbow bone bruise but is actually inflammation near the elbow.
The Yankees dealt catcher Christian Bethancourt to the Pirates for cash.
He appeared in eight games with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after signing a minor league deal with the Yankees last month following his release by the Cubs.
The 34-year-old Bethancourt was part of a catching group at SWB that includes another veteran, Mitch Garver, and J.C. Escarra.
Garver was signed to a minor league deal following his release by Seattle earlier this month after the Yankees were unable to trade for a catcher.
He entered Wednesday 2-for-8 in three games with SWB.
While Austin Wells has hit better of late — and continued to perform well defensively — Ali Sánchez has mostly struggled in a backup role.
Bethancourt last appeared in the majors with Chicago in 2024.



