NASA’s Swift Observatory is destined to re-enter Earth’s atmosphere later this year after a private rescue effort failed to stabilize the tumbling spacecraft.
The rescue vehicle, LINK, built by Katalyst Space, lifted off on July 3 intending to boost the observatory to a safer orbit. In the weeks after launch, the spacecraft suffered technical issues that caused it to tumble, and on August 19 NASA announced the mission would be halted.
The failure seals the observatory’s fate, leaving it to continue its descent toward Earth.
“This is not the result we hoped for, but it does not diminish the value of attempting the mission,” said NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman in a statement.
Launched in 2004, the Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory was designed to detect gamma‑ray bursts, the universe’s most energetic explosions. Over the years, residual atmospheric particles have created drag, gradually lowering its altitude.
Recent increases in solar activity have expanded the upper atmosphere, boosting the density of particles the observatory encounters and accelerating its descent.
“We recognized this as a high‑risk, high‑reward endeavor—a first‑of‑its‑kind effort undertaken on an unprecedented timeline shaped by solar activity,” said Shawn Domagal‑Goldman, director of NASA’s Astrophysics Division.
LINK was scheduled to meet Swift roughly a month after launch, but in late July power problems hit two of its attitude‑control devices, causing the craft to tumble, as previously reported by Live Science.
Although NASA has abandoned the original objective due to persistent altitude‑control problems, officials stress that the project is not wholly cancelled. “LINK will still attempt a rendezvous and proximity maneuver with the Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory to showcase capabilities vital for future space‑servicing missions,” the agency noted.
NASA and Katalyst will evaluate the optimal next steps for the two vehicles to collect as much data as possible for upcoming satellite‑servicing endeavors.
“We intend to extract every possible lesson from LINK’s rendezvous attempt and apply those insights to future missions,” Isaacman said.
Without further intervention, Swift is expected to re‑enter Earth’s atmosphere later this year, according to NASA.
Source link