WHO reports that vaccines for Ebola virus disease are being allocated to the DRC amid the largest outbreak, which has already claimed nearly 2,500 lives.
By Anadolu, AP and Reuters
Published On 20 Aug 2026
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is confronting its most extensive Ebola outbreak and will soon receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has proven effective in earlier epidemics.
The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Thursday that the doses are being drawn from the global Ebola vaccine stockpile, with 20,000 allocated for a late‑stage trial to assess the vaccine’s impact on the Bundibugyo virus.
Bundibugyo virus is the pathogen driving the current outbreak, which has resulted in 2,476 deaths among 5,208 confirmed cases.
The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for preventing Ebola virus disease but is not currently approved for use against Bundibugyo virus.
“It remains unclear whether Ervebo will protect humans against Bundibugyo virus,” the WHO said, emphasizing the need for clinical trials to generate further evidence.
To date, no vaccine or specific therapy has been approved for Bundibugyo virus.
The Congolese government requested last week that the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision release Ervebo vaccine doses.
The remaining 50,000 doses will be allocated to frontline health workers, in accordance with recommendations from the WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization.
The Geneva‑based global vaccine alliance Gavi announced it would provide $7 million to fund the shipment of vaccines to the DRC and an additional $6 million to support vaccination efforts in high‑risk areas.
WHO Director‑General Tedros Ghebreyesus reiterated earlier this week that the eastern DRC Ebola outbreak continues to be a global health emergency.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary‑General, told reporters on Thursday that humanitarian agencies are warning of the outbreak’s ongoing spread as authorities attempt to contain it.
“Our senior Ebola coordinator on the ground, Julian Harneis, said the government and partners are scaling up the response through five operational priorities: tripling safe care capacity, strengthening community engagement, doubling the number of safe and dignified burial teams, expanding disease surveillance, and increasing support for the most vulnerable,” he said.
The Congolese government has also launched the “Congo River Without Ebola” initiative to intensify its response by bolstering disease surveillance and preparedness.
The outbreak was declared in mid‑May, although some experts believe it may have started as early as February.
Also Read
- Pakistan’s Ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan Transferred to Hospital from Jail After Supreme Court Order
- Genesis Unveils Flagship Electric SUV GV90 with 310-Mile Range and Cutting-Edge Features
- U.S. Imposes Fresh Sanctions on Cuban State Mining and Construction Entities
- Treasury Secretary Bessent’s Bond‑Market Tactics Fall Short of Calming Yields

