French anti-fraud and health authorities announced on Friday that they are recalling over 250,000 condoms due to potential defects.
Officials noted that most of these condoms were sold online through major e‑commerce platforms by sellers based in Asia.
What did the authorities say about the potentially substandard condoms?
Of the approximately 260,000 contraceptives subject to recall, officials said that about 1,000 boxes — equivalent to 40,000 individual condoms — had already been sold.
“Laboratory tests found two non‑compliant products that could burst, and in one instance they contained perforations,” authorities said.
The DGCCRF and the DGS health agency stated in a joint release that the condoms were missing the required CE marking, which indicates conformity with European Economic Area standards.
“The identified condoms are missing a CE marking, lack third‑party conformity assessment, and in most cases are not packaged in French,” the agencies said. “As a result, they are considered non‑compliant and may present serious health and safety risks, including sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancies.”
The statement urged anyone who had used the condoms to undergo STI screening and to consider a pregnancy test if they noticed any irregularities, such as a missed or delayed period.
The government said the online retailers agreed to withdraw the offending listings and to return the recalled items.
The notice named two condom brands from the Japanese firm Okamoto Industries, as well as MyLubie and Friday Bae, which are distributed by Passage du Désir.
France provides free condoms to anyone under 25 through pharmacies without a prescription, aiming to reduce STIs and unintended pregnancies.

