Home Front Command Implements New Security Measures in Northern Border Communities Amid Hezbollah Escalation]
Israel’s Home Front Command has announced new security guidelines for communities along the Lebanese border, including the cancellation of all educational activities and restrictions on public gatherings. The measures, which took effect at 9:00 p.m. on Saturday and run through 20:00 on Monday, limit outdoor gatherings to no more than 50 people and indoor gatherings to 200 people, while beaches in affected areas have been closed to the public.
While workplaces may continue operations with appropriate safety measures, the northern Golan Heights and Upper Galilee have been placed under a partial activity level. Unlike the full restrictions in border areas, children in these regions may attend school provided accessible protected spaces are available.
The Galilee Medical Center in Nahariya has begun relocating operations to an underground facility, including health centers and infant checkup clinics. Israeli media reports indicate that Ziv Medical Center in Safed is undergoing similar preparations.
The new restrictions come amid increased Hezbollah activity, with the militant group firing dozens of missiles and drones at the North over the weekend. The IDF confirmed it is planning to intensify its campaign against the organization in Lebanon.
Residents across numerous northern communities rushed to shelters as sirens sounded throughout the Western and Upper Galilee regions. A video shared by Army Radio showed missiles hitting the ocean near Nahariya’s beach on Saturday, with beachgoers fleeing for cover during the exchange. This marked Hezbollah’s first barrage on Nahariya in nearly a month, with the IDF reporting that several projectiles were intercepted or fell in open areas.
The group’s attack on Karmiel represented its farthest strike since a ceasefire was implemented a month ago.
Also Read
- Djibouti Football Federation Under Scrutiny Amid Allegations of Fund MisuseThe tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti is embroiled in a football corruption row after a government audit accused its federation, largely funded by FIFA, of favoritism and inadequate competitive bidding.The recent success of Cape Verde – which reached the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup – has shown that small African nations can succeed with the right organisation.Djibouti footballers are furious, however, at their federation over allegations it has misused money from world football governing body FIFA, which provides the vast majority of its funding.Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for a new headquarters for the Djibouti Football Federation are also said to have been misused.One local club manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AFP news agency that his team would boycott this year’s league unless there was a change in leadership.“The (Djibouti federation’s) resources are not used for the development of football,” he alleged.“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving… I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.Djibouti’s national football teamThe allegations stem from a 2024 government inspector’s report, recently obtained by AFP, that accuses the federation of “favouritism” in awarding the contract for the headquarters and overpricing for many elements of the contract.FIFA, which along with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) provides more than $1m a year to Djibouti’s federation, did not respond to queries from AFP.A member of Djibouti’s federation, Mohamed Elmi Farah, resigned from its executive committee on August 12 August, expressing “concerns regarding the management and use of the federation’s resources”.Souleiman Hassan Waberi, the longtime head of the Djibouti Football Federation, told AFP it had been cleared of all wrongdoing by FIFA.“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” said Waberi, who also serves on the FIFA Council as a representative of CAF.Djibouti fans during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Africa qualifier against EgyptCAF is a major supporter of FIFA boss Gianni Infantino, who has recently courted controversy with plans to open the World Cup to private investors.Waberi acknowledged “shortcomings regarding competitive bidding” in “certain operations”, but blamed the limited availability of many items in Djibouti and said procedures had since improved.Djibouti, which has a population of just one million, has been ruled by President Ismael Omar Guelleh since 1999. It ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s corruption perception index.
- Wheat Futures Dip Ahead of Friday Session
- World No.1 Jannik Sinner Pulls Out of U.S. Open with Knee Injury
- Fishermen floating in cooler rescued after five days at sea off Mexican coast
