THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The International Criminal Court on Wednesday strongly condemned new U.S. sanctions targeting its president and a senior prosecutor, calling the measures a “flagrant attack” on the tribunal’s independence and reaffirming its commitment to pursuing justice for serious international crimes.
The U.S. State Department announced sanctions against ICC President Tomoko Akande, a Japanese national, and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye from Senegal, freezing any assets held under U.S. jurisdiction and restricting their access to the American financial system.
Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi described the sanctions as “very unfortunate” during a press briefing. She noted that Japan remains committed to diplomatic engagement and will continue discussions with relevant nations, including the United States.
The Trump administration has imposed sanctions on nine of the ICC’s 18 judges, along with its two deputy prosecutors, former chief prosecutor, and additional court personnel. Washington has accused the court of exceeding its mandate by investigating and attempting to prosecute high-ranking officials from non-member states, including Israel and the United States.
In an official statement, the ICC warned that threatening judicial officials undermines the international legal order. “The Court will continue to carry out its mandate with full independence and impartiality,” it said.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio denounced the ICC as “a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate.” His remarks followed recent announcements that the U.S. is launching a broader campaign to counter what it views as threats to national sovereignty posed by the court.
Rubio stated that the U.S. intends to encourage member states to withdraw from the ICC, sanction entities cooperating with the court, and bar ICC staff from entering the United States. Since these declarations, Venezuela and Chad have announced their intention to leave the court, raising the total number of withdrawals to five countries over the past year.
The sanctions significantly affect ICC personnel and their families, barring travel to the U.S. and limiting access to fundamental financial services. Canadian Judge Kimberly Prost, sanctioned in 2023, reported losing access to credit cards and smart home devices, telling The Associated Press, “Your whole world is restricted.”
The court’s supervisory body, the Assembly of States Parties, labeled the latest sanctions an escalation that jeopardizes ongoing investigations and global accountability efforts.
Germany and the Netherlands expressed strong backing for the ICC. German Foreign Office spokesperson Martin Giese emphasized that the court is “fulfilling its mission exactly as intended” by holding perpetrators of grave crimes accountable. Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen confirmed an invitation extended to Akande for consultations regarding continued diplomatic support.
Human Rights Watch criticized the sanctions, calling them part of a pattern of disregard for international law by the Trump administration. “These actions are a transparent effort to shield American and Israeli officials from accountability for serious crimes,” said Middle East and North Africa Director Balkees Jarrah.
Last week, Human Rights Watch joined three other advocacy groups in filing a lawsuit against the U.S. government in a New York court, challenging the administration’s campaign against the ICC.
Also Read
- Syrian Foreign Minister Denies Plans for Turkish Military Deployment at Abu al‑Duhur Airbase
- Alibaba Profits Plunge 75% as Heavy AI Infrastructure Investment Takes Toll
- Russia’s Low‑Cost Banderol Munitions Challenge Ukraine’s Air Defenses
- Premier CD Rate Opportunities: Secure Up to 4.30% APY on 16-Month Certificates


