BRUSSELS, Aug 21 (Reuters) – NATO’s supreme commander held a videoconference earlier this week to explore possible contributions that would support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, a spokesperson said, stressing that the initiative is not a NATO mission.
“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe hosted a meeting of interested allies at the chief of defence level on Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026, to facilitate their potential contributions to securing safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz,” a spokesperson for U.S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, the alliance’s top commander, said on Friday.
“To be clear, this is not a NATO operation. However, given NATO’s unique ability to bring together allies and assess their capabilities, it is logical for the alliance to play a facilitative role,” the spokesperson added.
NATO members have opted to stay out of direct involvement in the Iran dispute, instead pursuing external arrangements to reopen the strait, which before February accounted for roughly one‑fifth of global oil trade.
France and the United Kingdom have spearheaded efforts to assemble a coalition of about a dozen nations to ensure safe transit through the strait once tensions subside or the conflict ends, although any lasting solution will ultimately require Iranian agreement.
(Reporting by Lili Bayer; Editing by David Gregorio)

