Press freedom organizations denounce the decision as a strategic attempt to stifle independent oversight of the US military.
The United States Department of Defense has prohibited journalists from accessing its press office, marking a significant escalation in efforts to limit media presence at the Pentagon under the Trump administration.
Acting Pentagon Press Secretary Joel Valdez announced on Monday that the office has been re-designated as a “Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility.” This change, according to Valdez, is necessary because the space is used by speechwriters who handle classified government data.
In a statement provided to Al Jazeera, Valdez explained that these speechwriters frequently utilize SIPRNet—the Pentagon’s secure network for classified communications—to perform their duties.
“Consequently, journalists are no longer permitted to enter this office space,” Valdez stated. He noted that access to the Press Secretary and the Assistant to the Secretary of War for Public Affairs—the administration’s preferred title for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth—is now available strictly by appointment.
The policy change was first disclosed by The Washington Post and follows a series of measures by the administration intended to constrain media reporting on military and government operations.
Earlier in March, the Department of Defense banned media outlets from maintaining permanent offices within the Pentagon. This decision followed a legal victory for The New York Times in a lawsuit regarding new, more restrictive press credentialing rules.
Furthermore, the Pentagon now requires journalists to be accompanied by an official escort while inside the complex, a mandate that The New York Times is currently challenging in a separate lawsuit filed in May.
The National Press Club, a leading professional organization for American journalists, characterized the move as a “troubling escalation” in the administration’s campaign to limit scrutiny of the military.
“Independent reporting on the US military is not optional,” said National Press Club President Mark Schoeff Jr. “When journalists are distanced from the institutions they cover, the public suffers from a lack of transparency and oversight. Such restrictions should concern anyone who values a free and informed society.”
The Freedom of the Press Foundation also voiced strong criticism. Seth Stern, the organization’s chief of advocacy, questioned the justification for classifying the space.
“It’s rare for anything other than disingenuous spin and outright lies to come out of the Pentagon’s press office these days, so it’s hard to imagine what basis they have to call the space classified,” Stern told Al Jazeera. “The only thing sensitive or confidential about the information released by Pete Hegseth’s Pentagon is that it’s not true.”
Also Read
- DW’s Fact‑Checking Process: Verifying Misinformation
- North Korea Test Fires Missiles As Kim Jong Un’s Sister Says She’s ‘Unaware’ Of Any Talks With Trump
- Syrian Foreign Minister Denies Plans for Turkish Military Deployment at Abu al‑Duhur Airbase
- Alibaba Profits Plunge 75% as Heavy AI Infrastructure Investment Takes Toll


