The U.S. Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, confirmed at a press conference in New Delhi that the United States remains committed to a strategic partnership with India, despite recent trade disputes sparked by President Trump’s administration. Rubio emphasized that the bilateral relationship has maintained its momentum and continues to thrive, citing ongoing collaboration in trade, investment, and advanced technology sectors.
During his four‑day visit, Rubio met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other Indian officials. He noted that the Trump‑era tariffs—initiated at a 50 % rate against Indian imports—were part of a broader U.S. strategy to rebalance global trade, not a selective attack on India. The tariffs were ultimately struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court for certain countries, and the administration is exploring alternative ways to address trade imbalances.
Rubio highlighted that commercial partnerships are a cornerstone of the U.S.-India relationship, characterizing it as a strategic alliance. He also noted that, although the Trump administration has pursued an “America First” agenda, this does not undermine the U.S.’s commitment to its alliance with India.
On immigration, Rubio remarked that the United States is modernizing its immigration system for the 21st century. He referenced recent initiatives aimed at tightening legal immigration, which have heightened concerns among Indian citizens working and studying in the U.S., many of whom are currently on work visas.
While addressing questions about India’s relations with other global powers, Rubio emphasized that the U.S. remains focused on maintaining a robust partnership with India, regardless of any shifting dynamics elsewhere.
Also Read
- Djibouti Football Federation Under Scrutiny Amid Allegations of Fund MisuseThe tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti is embroiled in a football corruption row after a government audit accused its federation, largely funded by FIFA, of favoritism and inadequate competitive bidding.The recent success of Cape Verde – which reached the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup – has shown that small African nations can succeed with the right organisation.Djibouti footballers are furious, however, at their federation over allegations it has misused money from world football governing body FIFA, which provides the vast majority of its funding.Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for a new headquarters for the Djibouti Football Federation are also said to have been misused.One local club manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AFP news agency that his team would boycott this year’s league unless there was a change in leadership.“The (Djibouti federation’s) resources are not used for the development of football,” he alleged.“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving… I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.Djibouti’s national football teamThe allegations stem from a 2024 government inspector’s report, recently obtained by AFP, that accuses the federation of “favouritism” in awarding the contract for the headquarters and overpricing for many elements of the contract.FIFA, which along with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) provides more than $1m a year to Djibouti’s federation, did not respond to queries from AFP.A member of Djibouti’s federation, Mohamed Elmi Farah, resigned from its executive committee on August 12 August, expressing “concerns regarding the management and use of the federation’s resources”.Souleiman Hassan Waberi, the longtime head of the Djibouti Football Federation, told AFP it had been cleared of all wrongdoing by FIFA.“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” said Waberi, who also serves on the FIFA Council as a representative of CAF.Djibouti fans during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Africa qualifier against EgyptCAF is a major supporter of FIFA boss Gianni Infantino, who has recently courted controversy with plans to open the World Cup to private investors.Waberi acknowledged “shortcomings regarding competitive bidding” in “certain operations”, but blamed the limited availability of many items in Djibouti and said procedures had since improved.Djibouti, which has a population of just one million, has been ruled by President Ismael Omar Guelleh since 1999. It ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s corruption perception index.
- Wheat Futures Dip Ahead of Friday Session
- World No.1 Jannik Sinner Pulls Out of U.S. Open with Knee Injury
- Fishermen floating in cooler rescued after five days at sea off Mexican coast

