Seven people, including two police constables, were killed early Saturday in a head-on collision on a major road near Middlesbrough, northeast England, after a vehicle traveling in the wrong direction struck a marked patrol car during a pursuit.
All five occupants of the Volkswagen Passat and both officers in the police vehicle were pronounced dead at the scene. Cleveland Police confirmed the crash occurred at approximately 3:39 a.m. local time (02:39 GMT) after officers initiated a pursuit of what they described as a “suspicious vehicle.”
Chief Constable Victoria Fuller identified the deceased officers as Constable Matthew Blades, 37, and Constable Tom Clough, 38. “This is an incredibly sad day for Cleveland,” Fuller said, describing them as “brave officers … who didn’t return home to their families at the end of their shift.” The force said it has formally identified the five passengers in the Passat and is notifying their families.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham posted on X that he was “devastated” by the loss of life and urged the public “to avoid speculation at this time.”
The crash follows two similar wrong-way collisions near Dublin, Ireland, in recent days that claimed five lives. Irish authorities have linked those incidents to a social media trend encouraging reckless “wrong-side” driving among young people. Taoiseach Michael Martin condemned the “reckless behaviour,” stating, “It must stop.” Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly warned that in some cases the dangerous driving is being performed for social media content.
An Irish parliamentary committee has summoned TikTok to explain how it removes content that appears to glorify dangerous and illegal driving. Ireland’s media regulator issued a similar demand earlier this week.
Also Read
- Corn Futures Climb Amid Strong Export Sales and Mixed Crop Tour Results
- Zoetis Grapples with U.S. Pet-Care Slowdown as Pipeline Hopes Hang in Balance
- Two Lives Lost, Five Injured as Giant Ganesha Idol Collapses onto Mumbai Crowd During Ganesh Chaturthi Procession
- Two Palestinians, Including a Minor, Killed in Israeli Airstrikes on Gaza Despite Ceasefire Agreement


