DUBAI/OSLO, May 26 (Reuters) – The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations reported on Tuesday that the Greek-owned Very Large Crude Carrier “Olympic Life” experienced an external explosion on its port side near the waterline approximately 60 nautical miles from Oman’s capital, Muscat.
According to UKMTO, the vessel and its entire crew remain safe following the incident. The tanker reported a discharge of bunker fuel into the surrounding waters, though the cause of the explosion remains undetermined.
MarineTraffic vessel-tracking data indicates the Olympic Life was passing Muscat at approximately 0700 GMT when traveling outbound from the Gulf of Oman. The ship was not transporting cargo at the time of the incident.
The vessel’s technical manager, Springfield Shipping, confirmed that an unidentified object struck the tanker around 0920 GMT. Despite the impact, the vessel maintained stability and remained fully operational.
“Initial assessments revealed damage to one of the vessel’s bunker tanks,” Springfield Shipping stated in a comment provided to Reuters. “A sheen was observed in the water following the incident, but the spillage has since been contained.”
Records indicate the vessel is owned by Athens-based Olympic Shipping & Management, which succeeded the shipping enterprise founded by late industry magnate Aristotle Onassis.
Representatives from the company have not yet responded to requests for comment regarding the incident.
The reporting of this incident was contributed by Ahmed Elimam and Jana Choukeir, with additional reporting from Nerijus Adomaitis in Oslo.
Also Read
- Djibouti Football Federation Under Scrutiny Amid Allegations of Fund MisuseThe tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti is embroiled in a football corruption row after a government audit accused its federation, largely funded by FIFA, of favoritism and inadequate competitive bidding.The recent success of Cape Verde – which reached the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup – has shown that small African nations can succeed with the right organisation.Djibouti footballers are furious, however, at their federation over allegations it has misused money from world football governing body FIFA, which provides the vast majority of its funding.Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for a new headquarters for the Djibouti Football Federation are also said to have been misused.One local club manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AFP news agency that his team would boycott this year’s league unless there was a change in leadership.“The (Djibouti federation’s) resources are not used for the development of football,” he alleged.“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving… I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.Djibouti’s national football teamThe allegations stem from a 2024 government inspector’s report, recently obtained by AFP, that accuses the federation of “favouritism” in awarding the contract for the headquarters and overpricing for many elements of the contract.FIFA, which along with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) provides more than $1m a year to Djibouti’s federation, did not respond to queries from AFP.A member of Djibouti’s federation, Mohamed Elmi Farah, resigned from its executive committee on August 12 August, expressing “concerns regarding the management and use of the federation’s resources”.Souleiman Hassan Waberi, the longtime head of the Djibouti Football Federation, told AFP it had been cleared of all wrongdoing by FIFA.“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” said Waberi, who also serves on the FIFA Council as a representative of CAF.Djibouti fans during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Africa qualifier against EgyptCAF is a major supporter of FIFA boss Gianni Infantino, who has recently courted controversy with plans to open the World Cup to private investors.Waberi acknowledged “shortcomings regarding competitive bidding” in “certain operations”, but blamed the limited availability of many items in Djibouti and said procedures had since improved.Djibouti, which has a population of just one million, has been ruled by President Ismael Omar Guelleh since 1999. It ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s corruption perception index.
- Wheat Futures Dip Ahead of Friday Session
- World No.1 Jannik Sinner Pulls Out of U.S. Open with Knee Injury
- Fishermen floating in cooler rescued after five days at sea off Mexican coast
