Canadian Prime Minister pledges dollar‑for‑dollar retaliatory tariffs after US‑Canada trade talks collapse.

Published On 22 Aug 2026

The United States has levied a 50 % tariff on over $20 billion of Canadian imports after negotiators from both sides failed to reach a trade agreement, despite three days of discussions in Washington, D.C.

With the deadline set by President Donald Trump expiring at midnight on Saturday, officials from both nations confirmed that no deal had been achieved.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that Ottawa would retaliate with matching tariffs, dollar for dollar.

“In recent weeks, we have made significant strides to strengthen Canada’s standing as the top trading partner of the United States,” Carney said in a statement. “Yet this progress falls short of our goals for Canadians.”

Carney swiftly outlined plans to shield Canadians from the trade war’s fallout, noting that his administration will introduce new support measures for workers and businesses in the coming days.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer blamed Canada, calling it “a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States.”

“Canada refused to finalize the agreement on the terms agreed earlier this week,” Greer stated. “Even though the United States offered Canada the most favorable treatment of any major exporter to its market, new Canadian demands and reversals of prior commitments have disrupted the delicate balance achieved in recent days.”

The tariffs will affect roughly 5 % of Canadian goods exported to the United States, covering electronics, industrial machinery, and dairy products, and will sit atop existing U.S. duties on steel, lumber, and automobiles.

President Trump first imposed tariffs on select Canadian imports early in his second term last year, leading Ottawa to respond with a series of countermeasures.

Since then, the two nations have exchanged tit‑for‑tat actions, with Trump periodically threatening additional tariffs.

The Trump administration had previously imposed a round of tariffs in late July after President Trump accused Canada of discriminating against American products.

However, he told reporters on Friday that he anticipated reaching an agreement with Canada—an expectation that, for now, has not materialized.

The tariffs are likely to harm numerous Canadian businesses that export the affected goods to the United States.

“A 50 % tariff would effectively exclude hundreds of Canadian products from the U.S. market,” said Julian Karaguesian, a lecturer and trade expert at McGill University in Montreal, in an interview with Al Jazeera earlier this week.

Source link

Exit mobile version