An 82‑year‑old man is on trial in Germany and has confessed to a murder that has remained unsolved in Koblenz for nearly three decades.
Amy Lopez, a Texas native, was last observed alive in September 1994 as she headed toward Ehrenbreitstein Fortress in Koblenz during a European tour.
Her body was discovered at the location just two hours later.
Hans S, then 49, was taken into custody last February at a nearby retirement home after forensic analysis linked DNA on Lopez’s clothing to saliva he had supplied during a cold‑case investigation.
His full name has not been disclosed due to German privacy regulations.
Prosecutors allege that the assailant encountered Lopez coincidentally on the steep ascent to the fortress.
They contend that Hans S lured her into a secluded chamber beneath the fortress — a room named after a 19th‑century Prussian general — where he allegedly sexually assaulted and stabbed her nine times.
Prosecutors charge him with murder for motives they describe as “base” and driven by sexual gratification.
The courtroom was filled for the trial’s opening day on Tuesday, reflecting the case’s notorious reputation in western Germany’s Koblenz region.
The defendant entered the courtroom using a walking frame. After his counsel stated he had confessed, the presiding judge requested confirmation, which he provided by saying “Yes”.
While an independent psychiatric assessment commissioned by prosecutors deems the suspect criminally responsible for the crime, a definitive conclusion will await the trial’s conclusion.
A verdict is anticipated in early next month.
Four years ago, trace DNA was recovered from skin fragments on the victim’s trousers thanks to advances in forensic technology.
For decades the investigation stalled until Koblenz officials established a dedicated cold‑case team last year. Repeated public appeals and a feature on a national unsolved‑crime television program kept the case in the spotlight.
Although the programme generated several leads, an arrest near Koblenz occurred only after police collected saliva samples from volunteers. Prosecutors reported a clear DNA match to one of the traces.
When asked why Hans S provided a sample, his lawyer told the German news agency DPA that the case had “weighed heavily” on him and that he sought closure.
The suspect had previously been convicted of a sexual offense in 1999, yet at the time police lacked enough DNA evidence to connect him to the 1994 murder.
Also Read
- Range Resources (RRC) Shows Multitimeframe Bullish Setup, Says Frank Cappelleri
- UK PM Burnham launches bid to help homeless, donating 15% of his wages
- US and Canada Announce Trade Deal Progress as Key Details Remain Under Wraps
- Global Sugar Markets Adjust to Tight Supply Concerns and Weather Uncertainties

