Decades-Long Search for Troubles Victim Seamus Maguire’s Remains Begins in Northern Ireland
Half a century after the abduction of Seamus Maguire, a 29-year-old victim of Northern Ireland’s Troubles, a forensic search for his remains has commenced on a two-acre site in County Antrim’s Derryclone townland.
Experts from the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims’ Remains (ICLVR) initiated the excavation Tuesday, acting on “credible evidence” linking the location to Maguire’s 1976 murder by republican paramilitaries. The Par marchés Commission has identified him as one of 17 individuals still listed as “disappeared” in the conflict, with only four unresolved cases remaining, including Maguire, Joe Lynskey, Robert Nairac, and Columba McVeigh.
Initial reports suggested Maguire vanished between 1973 and 1974, but revised intelligence indicates he may have spent time in Manchester before being killed in 1976. The ICLVR team will continue the search until conclusive evidence confirms or excludes his presence at the site, stated lead investigator Eamonn Henry: “We won’t impose a deadline—this must be thorough.”
In a public statement, Maguire’s family described him as a “deeply cherished brother” who had been absent for over 50 years. They expressed a desire to inter him at St Patrick’s graveyard in Aghagallon, where his parents, May and Patrick, were buried. “Our mother searched for Seamus until her death,” the family noted, extending gratitude to the commission while requesting privacy.
The disappearance of Maguire, along with others like McVeigh—a 19-year-old IRA victim whose remains were sought unsuccessfully in County Monaghan last year—has left families grappling with unresolved grief. The absence of physical remains often prolongs trauma, compounding the anguish of not knowing the precise circumstances of their loved ones’ deaths.
ICLVR Director Henry emphasized that site selection does not imply exhaustive knowledge: “We proceed with the information available. Confidentiality is paramount, as all leads could guide us to closure.” Hilary Benn, Northern Ireland Secretary, commended the commission’s efforts: “For families like the Maguires, this work is about ending decades of suffering. We urge anyone with information to step forward.” Benn extended condolences to all unresolved cases, stressing that tips would remain confidential.
With over 3,600 conflict-related deaths recorded during the Troubles, the recovery of these four remaining cases underscores the enduring legacy of accountability efforts. The Derryclone operation highlights both the logistical challenges of exhumations—such as unstable terrain and historical obfuscation—and the emotional weight carried by survivors. For the Maguire family, the search represents a final act of justice in a decades-old wound.
Also Read
- JD.com offers concessions in EU probe of Ceconomy takeover bid
- Multiple Injuries Reported in Sword Attack at Swedish School
- Tesla Announces Largest-Ever Recall in China to Address Door Handle Safety Issue
- Djibouti Football Federation Under Scrutiny Amid Allegations of Fund MisuseThe tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti is embroiled in a football corruption row after a government audit accused its federation, largely funded by FIFA, of favoritism and inadequate competitive bidding.The recent success of Cape Verde – which reached the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup – has shown that small African nations can succeed with the right organisation.Djibouti footballers are furious, however, at their federation over allegations it has misused money from world football governing body FIFA, which provides the vast majority of its funding.Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for a new headquarters for the Djibouti Football Federation are also said to have been misused.One local club manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AFP news agency that his team would boycott this year’s league unless there was a change in leadership.“The (Djibouti federation’s) resources are not used for the development of football,” he alleged.“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving… I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.Djibouti’s national football teamThe allegations stem from a 2024 government inspector’s report, recently obtained by AFP, that accuses the federation of “favouritism” in awarding the contract for the headquarters and overpricing for many elements of the contract.FIFA, which along with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) provides more than $1m a year to Djibouti’s federation, did not respond to queries from AFP.A member of Djibouti’s federation, Mohamed Elmi Farah, resigned from its executive committee on August 12 August, expressing “concerns regarding the management and use of the federation’s resources”.Souleiman Hassan Waberi, the longtime head of the Djibouti Football Federation, told AFP it had been cleared of all wrongdoing by FIFA.“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” said Waberi, who also serves on the FIFA Council as a representative of CAF.Djibouti fans during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Africa qualifier against EgyptCAF is a major supporter of FIFA boss Gianni Infantino, who has recently courted controversy with plans to open the World Cup to private investors.Waberi acknowledged “shortcomings regarding competitive bidding” in “certain operations”, but blamed the limited availability of many items in Djibouti and said procedures had since improved.Djibouti, which has a population of just one million, has been ruled by President Ismael Omar Guelleh since 1999. It ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s corruption perception index.


