Government forces launched 81 strikes over the past day, while Houthi officials say they struck two sites in Saudi Arabia.

Published On 20 Aug 2026

Over the past 24 hours, government forces have conducted dozens of strikes against Houthi positions throughout Yemen, indicating that a resumption of full‑scale hostilities may be imminent.

According to government spokesperson Majed Abdullah al‑Nuzaili, the 81 attacks carried out in the last day neutralized several Houthi fighters and field commanders.

On the same day, Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group launched two drone strikes against targets in Saudi Arabia’s Najran province, successfully hitting Najran airport and an Aramco facility.

Saudi authorities have not yet confirmed the strikes.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Iran’s backing force for the Houthis, warned that Saudi Arabia would be unable to curb the rebel offensive, noting that the Houthis have repeatedly struck Saudi infrastructure and shipping since announcing a naval blockade in July.

The internationally recognized Yemeni government, based in Aden, accused the Houthis of seeking to blockade the country and halt its oil exports.

Over the past month, clashes have intensified across Yemen, with the government saying it has conducted hundreds of operations against the Houthis, resulting in numerous fighter casualties.

Firefights and drone strikes have been reported along much of the front line, yet neither side has launched a large‑scale offensive so far.

Each side has also launched missile and drone attacks on civilian infrastructure far behind the lines, targeting ports and airports.

In 2014, the Houthis seized much of Yemen, including the capital Sanaa, sparking a prolonged conflict with the government and its Saudi‑led coalition backers.

A UN‑brokered truce reached in 2022 between the government and the Houthis largely halted hostilities, but Thursday’s attacks suggest a rapid slide back to large‑scale war.

The UN reports that at least 18 million Yemenis lack reliable access to sufficient food.

On Monday, UN Human Rights Chief Volker Türk urged the warring parties to spare Yemenis further misery and to immediately cease any actions that could reignite full‑scale fighting.

Also on Thursday, the United Kingdom’s maritime security monitor said a tanker was seized off Yemen’s coast by six armed individuals, who then redirected the vessel toward Somalia.

Source link

Exit mobile version