By Euronews Persian
Published: June 1, 2026, 11:28 GMT+2 • Updated: 11:29
Two men convicted of attacking a mosque during the January 2026 protests have been executed, the judiciary‑affiliated Mizan News Agency reported, as Amnesty International noted at least 39 political executions since February.
Mehrdad Mohammadi‑Nia and Ashkan Maleki were put to death after Iran’s Supreme Court confirmed their sentences. Authorities identified them as key perpetrators of the assault on the Jafari Mosque in Tehran’s Gisha district that erupted during the December 2025‑January 2026 protests.
The judiciary stated that they had been found guilty of arson, damage to public property, clashes with security forces, road blockades and actions undermining national security, and ordered the seizure of their assets.
The precise capital charge under which they were sentenced was not disclosed in the official announcement.
The protests, which began in late December 2025 after the rial collapsed, quickly spread to nearly every Iranian city.
Security forces killed thousands of demonstrators during the crackdown on 8 and 9 January.
Iran’s Supreme Council of National Security officially acknowledged more than 3,000 deaths, while the UN special rapporteur placed the minimum toll at 5,000 and some estimates suggest up to 42,000.
A strict internet blackout was imposed on 8 January, severely limiting verification of the events.
Amnesty International reported last Thursday that authorities have detained over 6,000 individuals since the conflict began, including protesters, journalists, lawyers and human‑rights defenders.
The organization documented a surge in prosecutions, including capital cases, as well as enforced disappearances, torture, coerced confessions and unfair trials, concluding that at least 39 political executions occurred during this period.
These figures are part of a broader tally that includes executions linked both to the protests and to Iran’s ongoing war, a category in which Iran carries out the highest number of executions worldwide.
Human‑rights groups continue to voice concerns about the treatment of detainees arrested during the January protests, many of whom remain charged with political or security‑related offenses.
Iran regularly rejects international criticism of its judicial processes, asserting that those executed were convicted of serious crimes after due process.
Also Read
- Multiple Injuries Reported in Sword Attack at Swedish School
- Tesla Announces Largest-Ever Recall in China to Address Door Handle Safety Issue
- Djibouti Football Federation Under Scrutiny Amid Allegations of Fund MisuseThe tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti is embroiled in a football corruption row after a government audit accused its federation, largely funded by FIFA, of favoritism and inadequate competitive bidding.The recent success of Cape Verde – which reached the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup – has shown that small African nations can succeed with the right organisation.Djibouti footballers are furious, however, at their federation over allegations it has misused money from world football governing body FIFA, which provides the vast majority of its funding.Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for a new headquarters for the Djibouti Football Federation are also said to have been misused.One local club manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AFP news agency that his team would boycott this year’s league unless there was a change in leadership.“The (Djibouti federation’s) resources are not used for the development of football,” he alleged.“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving… I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.Djibouti’s national football teamThe allegations stem from a 2024 government inspector’s report, recently obtained by AFP, that accuses the federation of “favouritism” in awarding the contract for the headquarters and overpricing for many elements of the contract.FIFA, which along with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) provides more than $1m a year to Djibouti’s federation, did not respond to queries from AFP.A member of Djibouti’s federation, Mohamed Elmi Farah, resigned from its executive committee on August 12 August, expressing “concerns regarding the management and use of the federation’s resources”.Souleiman Hassan Waberi, the longtime head of the Djibouti Football Federation, told AFP it had been cleared of all wrongdoing by FIFA.“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” said Waberi, who also serves on the FIFA Council as a representative of CAF.Djibouti fans during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Africa qualifier against EgyptCAF is a major supporter of FIFA boss Gianni Infantino, who has recently courted controversy with plans to open the World Cup to private investors.Waberi acknowledged “shortcomings regarding competitive bidding” in “certain operations”, but blamed the limited availability of many items in Djibouti and said procedures had since improved.Djibouti, which has a population of just one million, has been ruled by President Ismael Omar Guelleh since 1999. It ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s corruption perception index.
- Wheat Futures Dip Ahead of Friday Session


