Togo authorities arrested two French documentary filmmakers and their Togolese fixer on July 27 after they were found filming a French public television series in the northern city of Kara.
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) says the trio—Gaël Mocaër, Sebastian Perez Pezzani and Fred Vedomey—were placed in pre‑trial detention and charged with making “false declarations” in immigration procedures.
RSF has called for the immediate release of the three, citing concerns about procedural fairness and the health of Mr. Perez Pezzani, who reportedly suffers from serious medical issues.
Togo’s media regulator, HARC, confirmed that it had received no accreditation request from the filmmakers or France Télévisions, and the Ministry of Cultural Affairs stated that it had not granted the crew any permissions for the shoot.
The incident comes amid growing tensions between Togo and France, as the West African nation strengthens ties with Russia, Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger—countries that have recently moved away from French influence.
Last year Togo and Russia signed a military cooperation agreement, and in June 2025 the Togolese government temporarily suspended broadcasts интих of French international broadcasters, accusing them of biased reporting during protests against President Faure Gnassingbé.
RSF accuses the Togolese authorities of acting without legal basis, labeling the proceedings as “unjustified” and “disproportionate.” It urges Paris‑based lawyers to intervene and stresses that the filmmakers were working under the auspices of a legitimate broadcasting organization.
Also Read
- Migrant Crisis Deepens in Ceuta as Thousands Remain in Limbo Amidst Spanish Processing Delays
- Army Seeks Digital Twin of Its Network to Boost Training, Testing, and Cyber Defense, NETCOM Chief Says
- Meta Faces Landmark Trial Over Platform Design and Infrastructure, Not Just Content Moderation
- Cameroon’s President Biya Returns from Extended Geneva Absence


