President Donald Trump issued a sharp rebuke to Canada on Sunday, marking his first public response after bilateral trade negotiations disintegrated. Trump accused the Canadian government of seeking the advantages of statehood without the accompanying responsibilities.

“Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!” Trump posted on Truth Social.

“They have also charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs,” he added. “No more!!!”

The escalation follows Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney’s decision to suspend trade discussions and recall Canada’s trade delegation to Ottawa. This move occurred as Trump’s 50% tariffs on approximately $20 billion of Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday.

CANADA’S CARNEY SAYS US MADE LAST-MINUTE ‘POWER PLAY’ AS TRADE TALKS COLLAPSE; RETALIATORY TARIFFS IN PLACE

President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney have traded criticism following the collapse of U.S.-Canada trade negotiations. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images / Getty Images)

Canada has committed to a retaliatory response.

Carney announced on Friday that Ottawa intends to implement “dollar-for-dollar” matching tariffs. These retaliatory measures will target various industries, including electronics, pulp and paper, agricultural equipment, dairy, steel, and appliances.

The new duties are scheduled to begin on Tuesday, Sept. 8, following Labor Day.

On Saturday, the Prime Minister characterized Washington’s actions as a last-minute “power play,” alleging that the United States attempted to dictate Canada’s ability to form independent trade agreements with other nations.

US-CANADA TRADE NEGOTIATIONS SUSPENDED, CARNEY VOWS DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR RETALIATION AGAINST TRUMP’S 50% TARIFFS

President Donald Trump lashed out at Canada in his first public comments since trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed, accusing Ottawa of wanting the “benefits of being a State, without being one.” (Shawn Thew/EPA/Bloomberg/Getty Images)

“It’s a power play,” Carney stated. “It becomes a question of sovereignty.”

Carney indicated that negotiations stalled after the U.S. introduced new requirements concerning Canada’s automotive sector, its cultural protections, the French language, and its existing international trading partnerships.

“In short, they asked too much, and they offered too little,” Carney remarked.

The Trump administration has contested Carney’s account, maintaining that Canada rejected terms that had previously been agreed upon by both nations.

TRUMP ALLOWS 300,000 METRIC TONS OF TARIFF-FREE BEEF IMPORTS IN BID TO CUT PRICES, DRAWING RANCHER BACKLASH

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney greets U.S. President Donald Trump at the official welcome ceremony during the G7 Leaders’ Summit on June 16, 2025 in Kananaskis, Alberta.  (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images / Getty Images)

“Our interest is in protecting American workers and protecting American supply chains. We’ve been offering to bring the Canadians along on that path, really to cut the tariffs on them on steel, on autos, even lumber, things that are sensitive for them,” U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Saturday during an appearance on “Fox & Friends Weekend.”

“And they’ve always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn’t want that,” Greer added.

Greer noted that there are currently no further trade negotiations scheduled with Canada.

Source link

Exit mobile version