Michael Boren, the U.S. Department of Agriculture undersecretary for natural resources and environment who oversees the Forest Service, reportedly urged agency staff last month to deploy additional aircraft to a relatively small wildfire burning near his Idaho ranch, according to a Washington Post investigation published Friday.
The Cabin Creek fire ignited around July 12 due to an unattended campfire and spread across several acres in the Sawtooth National Forest. The Forest Service declared the blaze 100% contained by July 15.
According to the Post, a Forest Service official speaking on condition of anonymity said Boren—who owns a 480-acre ranch in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area—contacted regional and national Forest Service officials multiple times while the fire burned, questioning why more aircraft were not being deployed.
Six current and former Forest Service officials told the newspaper the response exceeded what is typical for a seven-acre fire that posed no significant threat to life or property. The Post also reviewed internal communications corroborating Boren’s direct contact with staff and analyzed flight data showing approximately nine aircraft—including helicopters, air tankers, and tactical planes—responded to the blaze on July 12.
According to the analysis and two agency officials, at least some of those aircraft were diverted from efforts to contain other fires in Idaho.
A USDA spokesperson issued a statement Friday saying: “Mike Boren is expected to have regular contact with the agencies he oversees. The fact that a senior government official would be monitoring and communicating with other government officials about an event he oversees is a non-story. Under Secretary Boren did report a fire that was near property he owns, just as one would hope any citizen in an area under threats from wildfires would do. However, at no point did he pressure leadership or order more resources to fight this or any other fire.”

