Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls from his former defense minister for a wartime election, describing the prospect as a “huge risk” amid the ongoing conflict with Russia.
Ukrainian legislation prohibits holding elections while a state of war persists, a rule that remained unchallenged until former Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov publicly urged a vote earlier this week. Fedorov, a widely popular figure, served briefly before being dismissed by Zelenskyy in July, sparking nationwide protests.
Former Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, who was dismissed in July, posted a nine‑minute YouTube video earlier this week, arguing that Ukraine’s democracy “cannot be held hostage by Russia”. He questioned Russia’s right to dictate Ukraine’s electoral timeline and warned of a “systemic crisis of governance” in Kyiv. Experts concur that organizing elections amid active hostilities would be logistically unfeasible and that most Ukrainians oppose the idea.
Kyiv tackles missile launchers, Starlink
Recent Russian strikes have intensified the pressure on Ukraine. In the Donetsk region, overnight attacks killed two civilians and injured two others, while at least 141 homes were damaged. A drone assault on Kharkiv wounded eight people, including a child, and destroyed two residential buildings. In the Odesa area, a Russian drone struck a passenger train traveling from Zhytomyr to Odesa; no casualties were reported.
During a Saturday briefing, Zelenskyy emphasized Ukraine’s focus on neutralizing Russian ballistic missile launchers, which can be effectively engaged only with US‑built Patriot air‑defence systems. He noted that Ukraine has received 264 Patriot interceptors in 2026, a decline from previous years, and said the country is seeking to produce Patriot missiles domestically following political support from U.S. President Donald Trump.
He also revealed that both Moscow and Kyiv are developing independent versions of Starlink, the satellite communications network owned by Elon Musk. Russia’s alternative, crafted in cooperation with China, is expected to be operational by December. To avoid dependence, Ukraine is pursuing a similar project with a European partner.
Funding gap
Zelenskyy warned that Ukraine faces a $27 billion defence funding shortfall for the current year, despite higher‑than‑expected spending in the first half of 2026. He said the country needs at least $8 billion for a “normal start” to 2027, plus an additional $20 billion for military salaries and family benefits.
Diplomatic efforts are underway to bridge the gap. Ukraine has secured agreements with France for at least one SAMP/T air‑defence system this year and with Germany for roughly 600 PAC‑2/PAC‑3 interceptors through 2028. Norway announced a 85 billion‑crown (≈$9.2 billion) package for 2027, matching its 2026 contribution.
Also Read
- Singapore Announces Comprehensive Family Support Initiative to Address Declining Birth Rate
- French 2027 presidential election: Glucksmann to enter the race
- Tehran Threatens Regional Retaliation Against Any Nation Aiding U.S. Economic Sanctions
- Toby Keith’s ’35 Biggest Hits’ Achieves Dual Chart Milestones on Billboard 200 and Top Country Albums

