The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly planning to return to the United Kingdom later this month, a development that has caught royal observers by surprise and reignited questions about the couple’s future ties to the monarchy.
The news follows Prince Harry’s visit to London in July, which was dominated by a High Court defeat in his privacy lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday. The Duke, alongside several other public figures, had alleged the newspaper group employed unlawful information-gathering tactics—claims the publisher strenuously denied. During proceedings in January, Harry testified that press intrusion had made his wife’s life “an absolute misery.”
Former press secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, Ailsa Anderson, described the relocation news as a “bolt out of the blue” during an interview on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. She noted the move raises immediate questions regarding Prince Harry’s relationship with his brother, the Prince of Wales, the couple’s security arrangements, and their ongoing dynamic with the British press.
“It does beg the question, what will the rest of the Royal Family think of this?” Anderson said. “Of course, Harry and Prince William haven’t seen each other for four years, I think the last time was the late Queen’s funeral.”
Anderson suggested Harry’s July trip—specifically a visit to his late mother’s ancestral home at Althorp in Northamptonshire—may have influenced the decision. “I wonder whether that made a shift in his views and he really wants to come back because he’s missed his life here for the last six years,” she added.
The government has welcomed the development. Education Secretary Lucy Powell told BBC Breakfast she learned of the move via social media and news reports on Wednesday evening “like everybody else,” confirming she had received no advance notice from Downing Street and was unaware if the Prime Minister had been briefed beforehand.
Powell described the enrollment of Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in UK schools starting this September as a “great endorsement” of the British education system, though she acknowledged the children are unlikely to attend a local state school.
Also Read
- Markets Show Mixed Sentiment Amid Bond Yield Shifts and Tech Sector Volatility
- VF Corporation Director Richard Carucci Acquires 20,000 Shares Valued at $295,000
- Taiwan Semiconductor vs. ASML: Choosing the Superior Semiconductor Investment
- Colombia and Israel Establish Mutual Visa-Free Travel as Diplomatic Ties Rebuilt

