A Palestinian teenager was killed on Friday when Israeli settlers entered the village of Sair near the West Bank city of Hebron, local officials reported, marking another incident in a recent escalation of violence that has drawn international condemnation.
The surge in settler violence against Palestinians has become a growing concern for Israel’s military, which is tasked with maintaining order in the occupied territory but has faced criticism for its limited response to settler activities.
The Palestinian Authority’s health ministry identified the deceased as 17-year-old Kareem Shlaldeh, while Palestinian and Israeli authorities provided conflicting narratives regarding the circumstances of the confrontation.
According to Saad Shlaldeh, the mayor of Sair, a large group of settlers launched an attack on the village around 10 a.m., resulting in one fatality and the ignition of fires that damaged property.
“These individuals are nothing short of thugs,” said the mayor in a telephone interview, noting that his information came from discussions with eyewitnesses at the scene.
The Israeli military stated that troops were deployed to the Sair area after receiving reports of Palestinians throwing stones at Israeli civilians. The military also noted that the Israelis present had done so without prior approval, and confirmed that a security personnel fired shots, leading to Palestinian casualties. The statement further indicated that several Israelis sustained injuries during the exchange.
Discrepancies emerged regarding what happened before the settlers entered the village. When questioned about the Israeli military’s version of events, Mayor Shlaldeh said he had no knowledge of any stone-throwing by Palestinians.
Local resident Nabil Tharawa, 61, reported that a second Palestinian was injured and taken to a hospital in Hebron. Hospital officials at Ahli Hospital confirmed receiving a patient from Sair who had been wounded in the incident.
Friday’s violence occurred against a backdrop of heightened tensions following the Israeli government’s announcement of a new housing tender in a controversial settlement project near Jerusalem known as E1.
In response, eleven countries—including France, Canada, and Britain—issued a joint statement denouncing the move, warning that it would “undermine the prospects of a two-state solution by fracturing the West Bank and compromising the territorial integrity of the Palestinian territories.”
Much of the international community views the West Bank as a vital component of any future Palestinian state.
The E1 plan has been under consideration for about twenty years, navigating through various stages of Israel’s bureaucratic processes. However, strong international opposition—including from previous U.S. administrations—had largely kept the initiative stalled.
This changed under the current Israeli government, which is considered the most right-wing in the nation’s history.
Britain’s Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband criticized the tender announcement as “unacceptable and destructive” in a post on social media.
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar responded sharply to Miliband, asserting that “the Jewish people have the right to settle throughout the Land of Israel,” referencing the area stretching from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River.
Also Read
- CoreWeave CEO Michael Intrator Sells $1.2 Million in Shares: What It Means for Investors
- Comparing Invesco RSPS and SPDR XLP: Which Consumer Staples ETF Offers the Better Investment?
- Gunmen Abduct Dozens in Mosque and Village Raids in Central Nigeria
- Fatal School Attack in Sweden: Teenager Dies After Sword-Wielding Suspect Arrested


