Morocco’s 2026 World Cup roster, led by Paris Saint-Germain defender Achraf Hakimi, features a blend of established talent and players newly eligible through FIFA rulings.
Achraf Hakimi headlines a group of nine returning players from Morocco’s historic 2022 World Cup campaign, as coach Mohamed Ouahbi unveiled a 26-man squad dominated by talent from the European diaspora.
The squad, selected ahead of Morocco’s Group C opener against Brazil on June 13 in East Rutherford, reflects Ouahbi’s strategy of leveraging dual-national players. Five members, including Hakimi and Real Madrid’s Brahim Diaz—who switched allegiance from Spain—were born in Europe but qualify via family heritage. Three others—Fulham’s Issa Diop, PSV’s Anass Salah-Eddine, and 18-year-old Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi—received FIFA approval for eligibility changes in the past year.
Morocco, based in New Jersey during the tournament, will face Scotland in Massachusetts and Haiti in Atlanta, with top-two finishers advancing directly to the knockout stage. The Atlas Lions carry momentum from 2022, when they became the first African semifinalists under Walid Regragui, defeating Spain and Portugal before falling to France.
Veteran goalkeeper Yassine Bounou, 35, returns for a third World Cup after standout performances in Qatar. Ouahbi, a Belgian-born tactician who replaced Regragui in March, previously won the Under-20 World Cup with Morocco in 2025, including a final victory over Argentina that featured Strasbourg forward Gessime Yassine, now included in the senior squad.
The team enters the 2026 edition as Africa Cup of Nations champions, though Senegal’s pending appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport could overturn Morocco’s January 2025 title win. Morocco will cohost the 2030 World Cup with Spain and Portugal, with matches also scheduled in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay to honor the tournament’s centenary.
Morocco World Cup Roster
Goalkeepers: Yassine Bounou (Al-Hilal), Munir El Kajoui (RS Berkane), Ahmed Reda Tagnaouti (AS FAR)
Defenders: Noussair Mazraoui (Manchester United), Anass Salah-Eddine (PSV Eindhoven), Youssef Bellammari (Al Ahly), Achraf Hakimi (Paris Saint-Germain), Zakaria El Ouahdi (Genk), Nayef Aguerd (Marseille), Chadi Riad (Crystal Palace), Redoulen Halham (Messelle)
Midfielders: Samir El Mourabet (Strasbourg), Ayyoub Bouaddi (Lille), Neil El Aynaoui (Roma), Sofyan Amrabat (Real Betis), Azzedine Ounahi (Girona), Bilal El Khannouss (Stuttgart), Ismael Saibari (PSV Eindhoven)
Forwards: Abdessamad Ezzalzouli (Real Betis), Chemsdine Talbi (Sunderland), Soufiane Rahimi (Al Ain), Ayoub El Kaabi (Olympiakos), Brahim Diaz (Real Madrid), Gessime Yassine (Strasbourg), Ayoube Amaimouni-Echghouyabe (Eintracht Frankfurt)
Also Read
- Swiss Tourist Sentenced to Prison for Disrespecting Bali’s Day of Silence on Social Media[]A Swiss tourist has been sentenced to imprisonment for violations during Bali’s sacred Nyepi holiday.Luzian Andrin Zgraggen, 26, a construction worker from Switzerland, was found guilty of breaking Indonesian law by posting a provocative video to his Instagram story about the Day of Silence, known locally as Nyepi, on March 19.During this 24-hour period, locals and tourists alike are required to remain in their homes or hotels, keep lights dim and minimize noise, and are urged to perform quiet meditation.According to court documents, Mr. Zgraggen arrived in Bali on Feb. 10 for vacation. Before the Day of Silence in March, hotel staff had explained the relevant restrictions.Prosecutors said Mr. Zgraggen became frustrated that he could not freely leave the hotel to find food and “displayed his anger” on social media, according to an online copy of his indictment. One video showed Mr. Zgraggen walking in the dark with a caption that said it was “pretty peaceful outside,” followed by an expletive about the rules around the religious holiday.After receiving thousands of negative comments, Mr. Zgraggen took down the posts. But the videos were screen-recorded and widely reposted to other popular accounts, drawing criticism from Balinese residents who found his actions disrespectful. After the posts went viral, Mr. Zgraggen re-uploaded the video with the caption “they want smoke,” slang for a fight or argument, according to the indictment. That post, too, received widespread criticism.Then, prosecutors said, Mr. Zgraggen reached out to a senator in the Indonesian Regional Representative Council to apologize.When he arrived at the senator’s residence, he was arrested by the Bali police’s cybercrime unit and charged with disseminating hate speech based on religion through electronic information, the police said in a news release. Mr. Zgraggen’s trial began in June, and on Aug. 20 he was sentenced to a year in detention.The office for the chief district court judge in Denpasar, Bali’s capital, and the public affairs division of the Indonesian National Police did not respond to requests for comment.While tourists can face consequences for venturing outside during Nyepi, violations are often resolved without prosecution.Also on March 19, another tourist was detained by officers while walking with luggage along a road in Bali, the police said in a news release. The traveler said he had been forced to walk from his villa after his stay ended, as no vehicles were operating. Police and local security officers known as pecalang, who enforce local customs, helped the man find temporary accommodation.
- US Space Command Unveils 2040 Space Warfare Strategy, Highlighting Ground Segment Vulnerabilities and Cislunar Operations
- Walmart and Sam’s Club to Enable Tap‑to‑Pay Checkout
- Trump Admin Initiates $725 Million Transfer to UN Ahead of UNGA Speech


