Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are preparing to move from the United States to a private residence outside London, with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, slated to begin school in the UK this September.

The decision follows a private family visit in July to Highgrove, the Gloucestershire home of King Charles III. The gathering marked the first time the King had met his grandchildren in person in over four years and the couple’s first joint visit to Britain since 2022. While the Palace was reportedly unaware of the relocation plans until recently, the King is said to welcome the prospect of spending more time with his son’s family in a private capacity.

Despite the move, there are no current plans for either the Duke or Duchess to resume official duties as working members of the Royal Family. The transition does, however, reignite complex questions regarding their publicly funded security. Metropolitan Police protection for the couple was withdrawn after they stepped back from royal duties in 2020; since relocating to California, they have financed their own security arrangements.

Ailsa Anderson, former press secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, expressed skepticism about the restoration of official protection. “It’s a very costly business and they are not working members of the Royal Family,” she told BBC Breakfast, describing the Sussexes’ return as “totally unexpected and fairly astonishing.”

Conversely, Dai Davies, a former head of royal protection at the Metropolitan Police, suggested a formal security review is likely if the Duke intends to establish long-term residency. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Davies noted that the assessment process is “carefully measured” but warned that securing a private residence not previously hardened for protection would be “enormously expensive.”

The relocation news coincides with a significant legal milestone for the Duke. On Friday, Prince Harry is expected to learn the extent of the legal costs he and other high-profile claimants—including Sir Elton John, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, and Elizabeth Hurley—must pay to Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publisher of the Daily Mail. The group had sued ANL over allegations of unlawful information gathering, but a judge dismissed all claims last month.

Source link

Exit mobile version